Sunday, October 7, 2012

TurboCharged Recipes

From the book cover:
TurboCharged Recipes: Delicious Fuel for Your Fabulous Fat Burning Machine is a perfect stand-alone on an excellent companion book to the highly acclaimed rapid fat-loss and health book TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust.

My Review:
TurboCharged offers classic recipes with healthy ingredients. I didn't try all of the recipes, instead I tried to select one or two recipes from each section.

All of the meals fall into one of six categories:

1)Meals with whole protein and/or fat alone or combined.
2)Meals with fresh, whole fruits or vegetables.
3)Meals with 90% whole protein and/or fats and no more than 10% vegetables.
4)Meals with 90% vegetables and/or fruits and no more than 10% whole protein.
5)A smoothie with water (or ice) and a scoop of 100% whey, egg or pea protein powder with no more than 3 grams of carbohydrates and about 25 grams of protein.
6)A smoothie with water (or ice) and 1-2 whole fruits and a scoop of 100% whey, egg or pea protein (optional).

Following the categories above is suppose to help the body burn excess fat. Maybe I've always been a healthy eater and just didn't know it, because I didn't find any of the recipes that I tried different than any of the things I would normally make for my family.


Seafood Marinara
The Seafood Marinara was about the only dish that didn't pass my family's taste test. I used a white wine and halibut and I served it on a bed of spaghetti noodles. If I were going to try this recipe again, I wouldn't put in on noodles and I would probably skip the wine and use muscles, shrimp and scallop for the seafood. To be fair, the recipe didn't call for a halibut, it said to use your preferred seafood. 
 
Seasoned Salmon
 I make grilled salmon at least once every two weeks. When I made the seasoned salmon, my family couldn't tell the difference between the salmon I usually make for them. This is a good thing because the seasoned salmon is baked!
Chicken Marinara
The chicken marinara is one of my two favourite recipes. It's tasty and very wholesome. My entire family felt good eating this dish over a bed of bismati rice.
Fruit Salsa
 Meh. It was a bit too spicy for my kids and my husband and I prefer our fruit whole. I think it would be a nice garnishy side dish for large family dinners. It could replace cranberries at the Thanksgiving table for those who prefer a bit of spice.
 
 
Unfortunatley, I didn't get a picture of my favourite recipe, the Medican chicken.  I loved it so much, I making Mexican turkey this year for Thanksgiving!
 
TurboCharged Recipes is a great kitchen staple cook book. It's got some very basic recipes that everyone should have in their possession.
 
 
3/5
 
About the book:
TurboCharged Recipes by Dian Griesel, Ph.D. and Tom Griesel
ISBN: 978-1936705078
Publisher: Business School of Happiness Inc.
Date of publish: May 2012
Pages:268
S.R.P.: $24.95
 

No comments:

Post a Comment