Monday, July 30, 2012

Orange July: Month in Review


I’m very pleased with the books that I read for Orange July. All but one made it onto my 5ers list of highly recommended reads.

The one that didn’t make it - Rebecca Wells’ Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood had too much hype. With it having been made into a movie several years ago, I was expecting something way better. The main plot driver (Sidda’s refusal to marry her fiancé because she feels like she doesn’t know how to love because of her mother’s abuse) feels overly contrived. I know that’s a weird thing to say about a fiction but unless I’m reading science fiction or fantasy, I like my novels to have a somewhat realistic plot.



The Orange Prize for Fiction is a prestigious U.K. based award that celebrates full-length works of fiction written in English by female authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment