Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Murder at the Vicarage

From the book cover
When Colonel Protheroe is found dead from a single gun-shot wound to the head, none of his neighbours in the village of St. Mary’s Mead is much surprised. So many people wished this local official would say farewell – if not quite so permanently. Murder at the Vicarage marks the debut of Agatha Christie’s unflappable and much beloved female detective, Miss Jane Marple, who’s keen insight into human nature and intricate knowledge of the goings on in St. Mary’s Mead land her at the very center of the investigation. Scandal lurks just under the quiet surface of this English village, and suspects abound, including the vicar, his young and flirtatious wife, and Mrs. Protheroe and her lover, the artist Lawrence Redding. Everyone, it seems, has something to hide. With the local police stymied, it is up to Miss Marple to root out the killer.

-------
My review
It took me almost two weeks to get to the end of this mystery. I’m usually able to get through Agatha Christie’s novels in two or three days (keep in mind I work full-time and have a husband and two young kids). Anyways, I think the reason it took me so long to get through this book is the choice of narrators. I found the vicar extremely boring with a very flat way of telling the story. I would have much rather had Miss Marple narrate the story, but I guess Agatha Christie just doesn’t roll like that – her detectives always have a sidekick who narrators, with the exception of Tommy and Tuppence.

Anyways, back to Murder at the Vicarage, it follows much of the same plot twists as The Mysterious Affair at Styles. The most obvious suspects are cleared early on in the investigation and then later proven guilty. This murder mystery left me feeling rather indifferent.

2.5/5

3 comments:

  1. I started and put aside this book in May. It was a reread for me- I used to love Agatha Christie. But, I agree, not having Miss Marple narrate really was annoying- and boring, too. For some reason, I didn't remember this. Actually, I was surprised because I could have sworn she always told the story. I think I'm confusing all of the BBC and Masterpiece Theatre versions with the book versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Have you read any of the books Agatha Christie wrote under the pen name Mary Westmacott? I just read my first one the other days, and it was amazing. Check out my Giant's Bread review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I assumed I did read something she wrote under Mary Westmacott. My Agatha Christie phase ended almost 30 years ago. But, after reading your review, I don't think I have. It doesn't sound at all familiar. Thanks, I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete