Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mistress No More

From the book cover:
Jessa Bell shocked the hell out of her three best friends when she announced she was having an affair with one of their husbands - then refused to say which one. She has been reveling in watching her friends self-destruct while trying to figure out which dog of a husband has been getting some on the side.
--------

I can usually find at least one good thing to say about every book I read. I can't find a single positive thing to say about Niobia Bryant's Mistress No More. So, I present...

Five reasons NOT to read Niobia Bryant's Mistress No More:
1. Foul language and cheesy writing
Pleasure growled a little as he used nothing but his strong hips to ease the tip of his dick inside her. Her pussy lips closed around him. Her juices caused her flesh to smack lightly in the air. p. 7
Tears filled Aria's eyes because of how complete she felt with Kingston atop her, his dick buried deep within her walls. They always fit together like two puzzle pieces. p. 45
2. Wacky premise

Jessa Bell sends her three friends a text message saying that she's having an affair with one of their husbands, but doesn't say which one. She does this because the women did not trust her to be around their husbands after her own husband passed away. Her three friends' lives fall to pieces as they deal with the text message. Aria Hall accuses her husband, Kingston, even going so far as to check up on him when he's not with her and search his things. Jaime, who's husband Eric IS having the affair with Jessa Bell is already separated from her husband. He caught her having sex with a male stripper. Renee has bigger problems.; her husband, Jackson, has just announced that he had a one-night stand and the woman is pregnant.

3.  Gratuitous product placement
"What, Eric?" she sighed, sounding as bored as she truly was with his constant attempts at reconciliation. She reached for her monogrammed Louis Vuitton cigarette case and lighter. p.4
Aria bit the IMAN gloss from her lips as she closed her eyes and spoke the truth about how she felt. p. 11
Renee sang, completely off-key as she reached for the bottle of Patron  and poured herself a hefty shot. p.14

4. The mistress name is Jessa Bell. As in Jezebel, the biblical whore.

5. The rehashing of the black woman vs. white woman debate.
"The fact is Jackson had an affair with another woman and who cares if she's blue, black, green, or white. It doesn't make it more wrong because she's white ." p. 106
"Listen, there's not a damn thing me and Kingston haven't done and mean nothing, even down to golden showers... but there is this idea white chicks are complacent and giving and serving and we're just the angry black bitches who don't let a man be a man and ya-ya-ya and all that dumb shit." p.107
If you decide to read this book, don't say I didn't warn you.

1/5

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just COULDN'T go thru another whole book just to find out it was Eric. So it of misery right now....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! I just watched the movie and almost lost my mind at the ending. I somehow knew it was the Bishop though. But knowing for sure I can finally close my eyes and sleep; also thank you again from sparing me a lengthy book that would have angered me due to your fantastic commentary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So she was messing around with the Bishop when he made that statement about screwing someone in his bed... Plus he mad his wife slept around with pleasure... He stayed at jess house doing house chores my ass... The voice at the end sounded just like him

      Delete
    2. I knew it was Eric...voice on the phone sounded like him

      Delete
  3. It made sense at the end when Jessa said "what do you mean we can't go public now?" Bishop Eric was really the only one in the public eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched this movie and not knowing was driving me crazy. Thank you, and I'll add most people wouldn't say because they mad they had to endure part two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this - I just watched the movie and it was tragic. The only reason I kept watching was in hopes that it would get better in the end - it didn't, just a cruel waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie was suspenseful and confusing at the same time. I HATE HATE HATE when a movie ends like that. I feel like I wasted time out of my life that I can never get back. Plus time to research the question. Who was the husband. But I have come to the conclusion it was Bishop also. He was the only one in the public eye, and the only one who had a real reason to cheat, because he was no longer sleeping with his wife due to her affair. It makes since he would have a sexual relationship with Jessica as she kept calling him lover. His heart was with his wife even though he was angry about her affair. It was clear that Bishop had no plans to ever leave his wife, as he clearly threatened her he would Kill her if she leaves

    ReplyDelete